My Photo
Name:
Location: Montreal

Algis Kemezys is a seasoned image maker both in still photography and video. His photography has been exhibited worldwide while his mostly-documentary videos have played in international festivals and won prizes.

Saturday, May 13, 2006




MIMETOLITHS -- synopsis

This film travels to beautiful/mystical Crete, to closely look at Mimetoliths (rocks and stones that imitate living beings). It embraces the Muses that have languished petrified on the sacred landscape; the Phaistos Disk; intergalactic travel; Pythagoras’ golden proportion of 1 to 1.618; missing Planets; the Labyrinth; the Minotaur.
The rocks and stones of certain sacred places are alive with stories to tell. I have believed this since childhood, when my mother would send me on stone-hunts, to keep me busy; and later when as an adult I travelled the world continuously on a spiritual quest, looking for my muse.
I found some of what I was looking for on Crete, the largest of the Greek islands, and travelled back there repeatedly for the last four years. I scoured the landscape for meaningful mimetoliths, because of the legends and mysteries of the island. I built stone monuments to reflect nature and to please the gods. I encountered others who felt the same passions as myself and interviewed them. I tried to penetrate the ancient secrets within the rocks as I filmed them and spoke to them and became one with them.
Then, under the hypnotic spell of all that I had seen and all that I had captured on tape, I imagined mythological truths emerging from these images. I edited the footage myself at home, in true indie fashion, hoping that the language of cinema would add its own impressions and dimensions, and let me share the stories with the audience.

Algis Kemezys
dir. Mimetoliths

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home